Grilled Cornish Hens
I like experimenting with different foods and adapting them to my own tastes. These hens are one of my specialties, an entree I concocted by combining a few different recipes. The moist meat has a pleasant grilled flavor that's accented with cloves and ginger.—David Baruch, Weston, Florida
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Grill: 50 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, onions, parsley, ginger, garlic,
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Rub mixture under the skin and over the top of each game hen.
- Sprinkle remaining salt and pepper inside the hen cavities.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and
- lightly coat the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using
- a drip pan.
- Place hens breast side up over drip pan and grill, covered, over
- indirect medium heat for 45-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer
- reads 180° and the meat juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cornish game hen equals 1,584 calories, 115 g fat (36 g saturated fat), 773 mg cholesterol, 1,