Grilled Cornish Hens with Citrus Recipe
A simple citrus oil wonderfully coats moist and tender Cornish game hens. Serving grilled grapefruit slices on the side is an innovative touch.—Delores Moore, Fort Worth, Texas
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 orange peel strips (3 inches)
- 3 lemon peel strips (2 inches)
- 3 lime peel strips (2 inches)
- 2 grapefruit peel strips (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grenadine syrup
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each), split lengthwise
- 1 medium grapefruit, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add the citrus peels, cinnamon and allspice; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Discard peels; transfer oil mixture to a small bowl.
- 2. In the same skillet, combine juices. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 3 tablespoons. Stir into oil mixture; add grenadine.
- 3. Brush hens and grapefruit slices with oil mixture; sprinkle hens with salt. Grill hens, covered, over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally.
- 4. Meanwhile, grill grapefruit slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until heated through. Serve with hens. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC