Grilled Citrus Steak Recipe
- 2/3 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak (2 inches thick)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the orange marmalade, soy sauce, lemon juice and oil. Pour 1 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Score the surface of the steak with shallow diagonal cuts, making diamond shapes. Add the steak to the marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 6-8 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over direct medium-hot heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- 3. Place beef over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 25-30 minutes longer or until beef reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°.), basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (4 ounces cooked beef) equals 243 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 337 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 0.55 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.