Here's a healthy version of one of my favorite Mexican dishes. The grilled peppers go great with Spanish rice, gazpacho or a refreshing salad with jicama and citrus. —Lori Nelson, Austin, Texas
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large portobello mushroom cap, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large poblano peppers, halved and seeded
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, lime juice and 1/4 cup cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the mushroom, yellow squash, zucchini, jalapeno and garlic; saute 3-5 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the beans, 1-1/2 cups cheese, corn, cumin, salt, pepper and remaining cilantro. Remove from the heat. Spoon into poblano halves; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Grill peppers, covered, over indirect medium heat for 10-14 minutes or until tender. Serve with sour cream sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Chiles Rellenos in Country Woman March/April 2007, p27
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Grilled Chiles Rellenos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review