With this meal's delicious, fresh flavors, perfect portion size and balance of nutrition, you're getting a big reward for just a little effort. Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, oregano and basil. Pour 2 tablespoons marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender. In a small nonstick skillet, saute carrot and red pepper in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add onions and pepper; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until tender. Stir vegetables and reserved marinade into cooked barley.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Serve with barley mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Chicken with Barley in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p12
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Chicken with Barley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review