Grilled Chicken with Barley Recipe
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, oregano and basil. Pour 2 tablespoons marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender. In a small nonstick skillet, saute carrot and red pepper in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add onions and pepper; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until tender. Stir vegetables and reserved marinade into cooked barley.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Serve with barley mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Chicken with Barley(4)
Sort By :
I substituted 1/8 cup lemon juice with 1/8 cup lime juice since most reviews said it was too lemony. It was delicious!! Next time will add some mushrooms to the barley also just for another flavor! Passed this recipe out at work it was so good!
Loved this! Made it for dinner last night. I've never had barley as a side dish before. This was amazingly delicious. I felt like I was cheating on my diet!
I followed the review and added the reserved marinade to taste to the barley. I felt the chicken was too lemony also, but overall I enjoyed this meal and will tweak it with a little less lemon next time. I think it is a good weekday meal to give variety to my chicken dishes and plan to include it in the monthly rotation.
It was a little too lemony. Add reserved marinade to barley to taste.
More Recipe Collections
- BBQ Chicken Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Father's Day Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Grilled Chicken Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >