Pesto and sweet red peppers really jazz up chicken sandwiches in this recipe. Everyone loves them.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1-1/4 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1-1/2 cups julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons pepper; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For pesto, place the basil, Parmesan cheese and garlic in a small food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add the pine nuts and remaining lemon juice, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add remaining oil in a steady stream. Set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Grill buns, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise over cut side of bun bottoms. Layer with chicken, provolone cheese and roasted red peppers. Spread pesto over cut side of bun tops; place over sandwiches. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p210
Reviews for Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review