Grilled Chicken Club Pitas
Why heat up the kitchen on warm Indian summer evenings when you can take dinner in hand with these hearty chicken pitas from Lynne Ziegler in Odenton, Maryland?
LYNNE’S TIP: I also roll up the chicken strips in flour tortillas and serve as grab-and-go wrap sandwiches. Serve any leftover chicken with mixed greens and the last of the garden tomatoes in lunch salads the next day.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt-free garlic seasoning blend
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 2 whole pita breads
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, honey, mustard and seasoning
- blend; set aside 3 tablespoons. Pour remaining mixture in a large
- resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat;
- refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Refrigerate reserved mayonnaise
- mixture until serving.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat
- for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads
- 170°. Cut chicken into 1-in. strips.
- Spread reserved mayonnaise mixture over pita breads; top with the
- lettuce, chicken, bacon and cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat mayonnaise and reduced-fat cheese) equals 511 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 759 mg sodium,