Why heat up the kitchen on warm Indian summer evenings when you can take dinner in hand with these hearty chicken pitas from Lynne Ziegler in Odenton, Maryland? LYNNE’S TIP: I also roll up the chicken strips in flour tortillas and serve as grab-and-go wrap sandwiches. Serve any leftover chicken with mixed greens and the last of the garden tomatoes in lunch salads the next day.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt-free garlic seasoning blend
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 2 whole pita breads
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, honey, mustard and seasoning blend; set aside 3 tablespoons. Pour remaining mixture in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Refrigerate reserved mayonnaise mixture until serving.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Cut chicken into 1-in. strips.
- Spread reserved mayonnaise mixture over pita breads; top with the lettuce, chicken, bacon and cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Chicken Club Pitas in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p14
Reviews for Grilled Chicken Club Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review