Grilled Cheese Supreme Recipe
Buttery rye holds a bevy of veggies, cheese and avocado in these full-flavored sandwiches. I've also prepared them on my outdoor grill.—Billie Moss, Walnut Creek, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 12 slices hearty rye bread
- 12 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 18 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 thin slices sweet onion
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 12 wedges
- 12 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1. Spread each of six bread slices with 1 teaspoon mayonnaise. Layer with a cheese slice, tomatoes, mushrooms, another cheese slice, onion, 2 avocado wedges and remaining cheese slice. Spread remaining bread with remaining mayonnaise; place on top.
- 2. Butter outsides of sandwiches. Toast on a heated griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich equals 674 calories, 46 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 1,034 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC