Buttery rye holds a bevy of veggies, cheese and avocado in these full-flavored sandwiches. I've also prepared them on my outdoor grill.—Billie Moss, Walnut Creek, California
- 12 slices hearty rye bread
- 12 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 18 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 thin slices sweet onion
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 12 wedges
- 12 teaspoons butter, softened
- Spread each of six bread slices with 1 teaspoon mayonnaise. Layer with a cheese slice, tomatoes, mushrooms, another cheese slice, onion, 2 avocado wedges and remaining cheese slice. Spread remaining bread with remaining mayonnaise; place on top.
- Butter outsides of sandwiches. Toast on a heated griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Cheese Supreme in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p100
Reviews for Grilled Cheese Supreme
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2014
"These were absolutely delicious. The only thing I did different was use 2 slices of cheese per sandwich instead of 3. Next time I'm going to try provolone cheese in place of the American cheese."