Buttery rye holds a bevy of veggies, cheese and avocado in these full-flavored sandwiches. I've also prepared them on my outdoor grill.—Billie Moss, Walnut Creek, California
Recommended: 84 Lemon Recipes from Tart to Sweet
- 12 slices hearty rye bread
- 12 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 18 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 thin slices sweet onion
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 12 wedges
- 12 teaspoons butter, softened
- Spread each of six bread slices with 1 teaspoon mayonnaise. Layer with a cheese slice, tomatoes, mushrooms, another cheese slice, onion, 2 avocado wedges and remaining cheese slice. Spread remaining bread with remaining mayonnaise; place on top.
- Butter outsides of sandwiches. Toast on a heated griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Cheese Supreme in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p100
Reviews for Grilled Cheese Supreme
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2014
"These were absolutely delicious. The only thing I did different was use 2 slices of cheese per sandwich instead of 3. Next time I'm going to try provolone cheese in place of the American cheese."