Grilled Cake and Fruit Recipe
- 4 slices angel food cake (1 inch thick)
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 1 medium firm banana, cut into fourths
- 8 pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and diced
- 8 fresh strawberries, sliced
- Cut a pocket in each slice of cake by cutting from one long side to within 1/2 in. of the opposite side. Insert a chocolate piece into each opening; set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the banana, pineapple and lemon juice; drain. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine sugar and cinnamon. Add banana and pineapple; toss to coat. Thread onto four 4-in. metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat using a drip pan. Place fruit over drip pan and grill over indirect medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until heated through, turning frequently.
- Grill cake for 30-60 seconds on each side or until chocolate is melted. Remove fruit from skewers. Combine the kiwi, strawberries and grilled fruit; serve with cake slices. Yield: 4 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Grilled Cake and Fruit
Sort By :
I must have done this wrong, because the cake burned before the chocolate even melted :(
We have slightly revised the directions to this recipe. The grilled fruit should just be removed from the skewers and combined with the strawberries and kiwi.
Taste of Home Test Kitchen
the taste was good, but directions were not and trying to get fruit inside and dish presented and served before chocolate hardened was too much