Bring the convenience of outdoor cooking to dessert with toasted angel food cake "sandwiches" that hold melted chocolate and are served with grilled fruit. They're really delicious and easy. —Terri Trudeau, San Gabriel, California
- 4 slices angel food cake (1 inch thick)
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 1 medium firm banana, cut into fourths
- 8 pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and diced
- 8 fresh strawberries, sliced
- Cut a pocket in each slice of cake by cutting from one long side to within 1/2 in. of the opposite side. Insert a chocolate piece into each opening; set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the banana, pineapple and lemon juice; drain. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine sugar and cinnamon. Add banana and pineapple; toss to coat. Thread onto four 4-in. metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat using a drip pan. Place fruit over drip pan and grill over indirect medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until heated through, turning frequently.
- Grill cake for 30-60 seconds on each side or until chocolate is melted. Remove fruit from skewers. Combine the kiwi, strawberries and grilled fruit; serve with cake slices. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Cake and Fruit in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p22
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Grilled Cake and Fruit
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review