Grilled Black Bean and Pineapple Burgers Recipe
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons chopped green onion
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 slices unsweetened pineapple
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large bowl, mash beans. Add the red onion, eggs, bread crumbs, chips, green pepper, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and pepper sauce. Shape into six patties. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, green onion, mustard, honey, orange juice and soy sauce; refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- 4. Grill or broil pineapple slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until heated through. Place burgers and pineapple on buns; top each with 1 rounded tablespoon of sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger equals 357 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 807 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.