Grilled Beer Brats with Kraut Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 12 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer
- 12 hoagie buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- 2. Cook and stir onion in bacon drippings until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 15-20 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add apple and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in sauerkraut, mustard, brown sugar and cooked bacon.
- 3. Transfer to a 13x9-in. disposable foil pan. Arrange bratwurst over top. Pour beer over bratwurst. Place pan on grill rack over medium heat; cook, covered, 30-35 minutes or until sausages are no longer pink. Remove pan from heat.
- 4. Remove bratwurst and return to grill. Grill, covered, 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned. Serve on buns with sauerkraut mixture. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 582 calories, 34 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,473 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer