Grilled Beer Brats with Kraut Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 12 uncooked Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer
- 12 hoagie buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir onion in bacon drippings until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 15-20 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add apple and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in sauerkraut, mustard, brown sugar and cooked bacon.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. disposable foil pan. Arrange bratwurst over top. Pour beer over bratwurst. Place pan on grill rack over medium heat; cook, covered, 30-35 minutes or until sausages are no longer pink. Remove pan from heat.
- Remove bratwurst and return to grill. Grill, covered, 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned. Serve on buns with sauerkraut mixture. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Grilled Beer Brats with Kraut(2)
Sort By :
I've made this twice now for different groups of people and this was a HIT. The #2 time I just made the kraut to go with my friends "always grilling brats for 4th of July" party. The triple batch pleased the 20-30 people so much many went for seconds.
I only had 5 bratwurst, but followed the rest of the recipe as written. If I use 12 as the recipe lists, I'd double the amount of the rest of the ingredients. My family loves sauerkraut!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Grilled Apples >
- Grilled Fruit >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >