Grilled Beef Teriyaki Recipe
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-in. slices
- 1. Score surface of steak, making shallow diagonal cuts. In a bowl, combine the broth, pineapple juice, soy sauce, lemon juice, honey and ginger.
- 2. Pour 1 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning once or twice. Add onion to remaining marinade; cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours, stirring several times.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. On a greased grill rack, grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 4. Meanwhile, place onion slices on a grilling grid lightly coated with cooking oil; place on a grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side or until tender. Thinly slice steak across the grain; serve with grilled onion. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grilling grid, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liqid to drain.
3 ounce-weight: 196 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.