Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (1 pound)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- ONION TOPPING:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1. Combine the first four ingredients; rub over meat. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic. Brush with oil.
- 2. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze garlic into food processor; add mayonnaise and yogurt. Process until smooth; chill.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil and saute onion for 5 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until onion is golden. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add next four ingredients; cook until reduced slightly
- 4. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 4 slices.
- 5. Serve warm on bread with garlic mayonnaise, arugula and onion mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 each) equals 418 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 702 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.