My daughter shared these hearty sandwiches with me, and I think they're a savory melt-in-your-mouth treat. The sweet-sour onions and mushrooms are perfect over the tender beef and lip-smacking garlic mayonnaise. —Ruth Lee of Troy, Ontario
Recommended: The Best BBQ Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (1 pound)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- ONION TOPPING:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Combine the first four ingredients; rub over meat. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic. Brush with oil.
- Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze garlic into food processor; add mayonnaise and yogurt. Process until smooth; chill.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil and saute onion for 5 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until onion is golden. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add next four ingredients; cook until reduced slightly
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 4 slices.
- Serve warm on bread with garlic mayonnaise, arugula and onion mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p39
Reviews forGrilled Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 5, 2012
"My husband and I both thought it was delicious!!"