Grilled Beef Gyros Recipe
A spicy marinade adds zip to these grilled beef slices tucked inside pita bread. Friends from Greece gave us their recipe for the cucumber sauce, which provides a cool contrast to the hot beef. I never have to worry about leftovers when I serve these sandwiches. —Lee Rademaker Hayfork, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 20 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- CUCUMBER SAUCE:
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 8 to 10 pita breads, warmed and halved
- Thinly sliced onion
- Chopped tomato
- 1. In a blender, combine the onion, garlic, sugar, mustard, ginger, pepper and cayenne; cover and process until onion is finely chopped. Add soy sauce and water; process until blended.
- 2. Place the beef in a large resealable plastic bag. Add marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- 3. For sauce, in a blender;, combine the cucumber, garlic and salt; cover and process until cucumber is chopped. Add vinegar and oil; process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sour cream. Refrigerate until serving.
- 4. Drain and discard marinade. Grill beef, covered, over medium-hot heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Place beef in pita halves. Top with cucumber sauce, sliced onion and chopped tomato. Refrigerate any remaining sauce. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC