Grilled Beef Gyros Recipe
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- CUCUMBER SAUCE:
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 8 to 10 pita breads, warmed and halved
- Thinly sliced onion
- Chopped tomato
- In a blender, combine the onion, garlic, sugar, mustard, ginger, pepper and cayenne; cover and process until onion is finely chopped. Add soy sauce and water; process until blended.
- Place the beef in a large resealable plastic bag. Add marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, in a blender;, combine the cucumber, garlic and salt; cover and process until cucumber is chopped. Add vinegar and oil; process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sour cream. Refrigerate until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill beef, covered, over medium-hot heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Place beef in pita halves. Top with cucumber sauce, sliced onion and chopped tomato. Refrigerate any remaining sauce. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Grilled Beef Gyros(4)
Sort By :
Gyros are pretty common in my home state of PA. We don't see them (or many of the other foods we love) in this part of TX. We were craving a taste of home (how appropriate lol) These were really good and hit the spot!
Delicious! This has been a family favorite for years! I recall my mom marinating, and my dad grilling this over the summers! It is also GREAT for entertaining :)
Definitely a must try!
We used a flank steak sliced thin before marinating and grilled over hardwood coals. I think we will do a skirt steak with it tomorrow.
We use venison in place of beef and really like this recipe. Makes more cucumber sauce than needed so I usually half
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- BBQ Beef Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Grilled Beef Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >