Grilled Beef Burgers Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 multigrain hamburger buns, split
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 tomato slices
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 burger) equals 351 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 530 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.