Grilled Basil Chicken and Tomatoes Recipe
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1. For marinade, place first five ingredients in a blender. Cut four tomatoes into quarters and add to blender; cover and process until blended. Halve remaining tomatoes for grilling.
- 2. In a bowl, combine chicken and 2/3 cup marinade; refrigerate, covered, 1 hour, turning occasionally. Reserve remaining marinade for serving.
- 3. Place chicken on an oiled grill rack over medium heat; discard marinade remaining in bowl. Grill chicken, covered, until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-6 minutes per side. Grill tomatoes, covered, over medium heat until lightly browned, 2-4 minutes per side. Serve chicken and tomatoes with reserved marinade. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 177 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Grilled Basil Chicken and Tomatoes
"WOW! The reviews are right. This is soooo good! I did cut the recipe in half for just my husband and I, and it worked out fine. Do *NOT* sub in dried basil for the fresh. The fresh basil really brings out the flavors of the dressing. We marinated it for exactly 1 hour, then grilled it. We spooned a bit of the dressing on top after it was done. We are saving the leftover dressing for a side salad on another night. I will DEFINITELY make this again. YUM!"
"The chicken had excellent flavor! So delicious! Great way to use fresh basil."
"Delicious! No other words needed!"
"A very delicious summery meal!"
"I made this for dinner tonight with bone in breasts and thighs and there was plenty of sauce for marinating and dipping later. So yummy! Fresh flavors abound! I will be making this again and sharing it with my friends!"
"Grilled this last night, turned out GREAT!!! Tomatoes were fresh out of our garden.The wife wanted the recipe fo her co-workers."
"This was delicious. I marinated the chicken for about 3 hours and it really picked up the flavors of the marinade. A winner for sure."
"This is a great way to use up the extra basil growing in my garden. My only alteration would be setting aside more sauce to put on the cooked chicken. It's so yummy!"
"We made this tonight on our outdoor gas grill and it was very good. Next time I think I will let it marinade longer than an hour. I enjoyed all of the fresh flavors and the speed at which the marinade went together. Just threw everything in the blender and two pulses later it was good to go! Yum!"
"I marinated it for about 6 hours and used dried basil. Then had my neighbor grill it for me. It was very good and everyone liked it."
"I bought an indoor grilling machine & never having grilled, I started searching the web for recipes particularly for chicken. I was having poor luck because each one I tried lacked the taste I was seeking. I could honestly say that each one was tasteless; it was eating chicken with absolutely no seasoning. Then I logged onto your site (why oh why didn't start there!) & found this recipe. It was delicious! I have several more of your recipes lined up."
"I grilled this while we were camping and it is oh!! so delicious!!!"