Grilled Basil Chicken and Tomatoes Recipe
- 8 plum tomatoes, divided
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1. Cut four tomatoes into quarters and place in a food processor. Add the vinegar, basil, oil, garlic and salt; cover and process until blended.
- 2. Pour 1/2 cup dressing into a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving. Pour remaining dressing into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- 4. Cut remaining tomatoes in half; grill or broil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender. Serve with chicken and reserved dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 174 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein Diabetic Exchanges:3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Grilled Basil Chicken and Tomatoes
"Delicious! I love to serve this chicken over a salad for a great and healthy summertime meal."
"The chicken had excellent flavor! So delicious! Great way to use fresh basil."
"This is the best marinade for chicken! I think it is the balsamic vinegar that makes it different than the rest. Definitely a keeper. Every time I make it, people ask me for the recipe. I usually grill more than I need and have the leftovers on a salad the next day. Delicious!"
"Delicious! No other words needed!"
"A very delicious summery meal!"
"I made this for dinner tonight with bone in breasts and thighs and there was plenty of sauce for marinating and dipping later. So yummy! Fresh flavors abound! I will be making this again and sharing it with my friends!"
"Grilled this last night, turned out GREAT!!! Tomatoes were fresh out of our garden.The wife wanted the recipe fo her co-workers."
"I needed something nice but easy for a special birthday dinner. This was it! Everyone at the party loved it and wanted the recipe!"
"This was delicious. I marinated the chicken for about 3 hours and it really picked up the flavors of the marinade. A winner for sure."
"This is a great way to use up the extra basil growing in my garden. My only alteration would be setting aside more sauce to put on the cooked chicken. It's so yummy!"
"We made this tonight on our outdoor gas grill and it was very good. Next time I think I will let it marinade longer than an hour. I enjoyed all of the fresh flavors and the speed at which the marinade went together. Just threw everything in the blender and two pulses later it was good to go! Yum!"
"I marinated it for about 6 hours and used dried basil. Then had my neighbor grill it for me. It was very good and everyone liked it."
"I bought an indoor grilling machine & never having grilled, I started searching the web for recipes particularly for chicken. I was having poor luck because each one I tried lacked the taste I was seeking. I could honestly say that each one was tasteless; it was eating chicken with absolutely no seasoning. Then I logged onto your site (why oh why didn't start there!) & found this recipe. It was delicious! I have several more of your recipes lined up."
"I grilled this while we were camping and it is oh!! so delicious!!!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.