Grilled Bananas Foster
I worked at a Bed and Breakfast a few years back and Bananas Foster was a dessert that they often served with dinner. This wonderful version can be prepared on your outdoor grill. Once it is grilled, just add ice cream and you have a heavenly dessert without heating up your kitchen. — Kathleen Hedger, Fairview Hts, Illinois
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons rum or unsweetened apple juice
- 4 medium bananas
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter and rum. Cut bananas
- into 1-in. slices; place each banana on a double thickness of
- heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Top with brown sugar
- mixture. Fold foil around banana mixture; seal packets tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 7-9 minutes or until bananas are
- tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Serve with ice
- cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 banana with 2-1/2 tablespoons sauce and 1/2 cup ice cream equals 423 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.