Grilled Bacon-Onion Appetizers Recipe
”I’m the father of three girls who loves cooking for the family in my spare time,” says Dayton Hulst from Moorhead, Minnesota. ”All of us really love this savory treat.”
- 2 large sweet onions
- 12 hickory-smoked bacon strips
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1. Cut each onion into 12 wedges. Cut bacon strips in half widthwise; wrap a piece of bacon around each onion wedge and secure with toothpicks. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, molasses and barbecue sauce; pour 1/2 cup over onions. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Grill onions, covered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Yield: 2 dozen.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC