”I’m the father of three girls who loves cooking for the family in my spare time,” says Dayton Hulst from Moorhead, Minnesota. ”All of us really love this savory treat.”
- 2 large sweet onions
- 12 hickory-smoked bacon strips
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Cut each onion into 12 wedges. Cut bacon strips in half widthwise; wrap a piece of bacon around each onion wedge and secure with toothpicks. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, molasses and barbecue sauce; pour 1/2 cup over onions. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill onions, covered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Grilled Bacon-Onion Appetizers in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Grilled Bacon-Onion Appetizers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review