Tired of pepperoni pizza? When we have the grill going, we like to make this recipe. The chewy from-scratch crust is topped with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, asparagus and ham. We love pizza and when it's made on the grill, it's even better. -M. Woods Springfield, Missouri
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 24 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 3 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, thyme, salt and sugar. Add water; beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Brush asparagus with oil; sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Grill asparagus, uncovered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender, turning every 2 minutes. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into eight portions. Roll each portion into a 6-in. circle. Place dough directly on grill.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles form on top. Place toasted side up on two ungreased baking sheets. Top with pizza sauce, asparagus, ham and cheese. Cover and grill 2-3 minutes longer or until bottom of crust is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Asparagus Pizzas in Taste of Home April/May 2004, p29
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Grilled Asparagus Pizzas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review