Grilled Apple-Brined Turkey Recipe
- 2 quarts unsweetened apple juice
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 4 ounces fresh gingerroot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 15 whole cloves
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 medium oranges, quartered
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large kettle, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in oranges. Remove from the heat. Add cold water to cool the marinade to room temperature.
- 2. Remove giblets from turkey (discard or save for another use). Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Carefully pour cooled marinade into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan or other large container. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Drain and discard brine. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry. Rub oil over skin. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 4. Place breast side up on a rack in a disposable foil roasting pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 hours. Tent turkey with foil; grill 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 12-14 servings.
8 ounces cooked turkey equals 473 calories, 23 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 210 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 62 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer