Greens with Hot Bacon Dressing
GROWING UP in a German community, I ate this salad often. It's an old traditional dish - I recall my grandmother talking about her mother making this recipe.
As a variation, the "old-timers" in my family enjoy cutting up some boiled potatoes on dinner plates, then serving the warm salad mixture on top of the potatoes.
-Robert Enigk, Canastota, New York
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a salad bowl, toss spinach, lettuce, celery and onion; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted
- spoon to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 2 tablespoons
- drippings. In a small bowl, beat egg; add water and mix well. Add to
- the drippings. Combine vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, salt and pepper;
- add to skillet. Bring to a boil; stirring constantly. Remove from
- the heat; pour over salad. Add bacon. Toss and serve immediately.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 93 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium,