Greens with Homemade Croutons Recipe
- 5 slices day-old French bread (1/2 inch thick), cubed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash celery salt
- 2 cups spring mix salad greens
- 2 cups torn romaine or fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Place bread cubes in a bowl. Drizzle with butter; toss lightly. Sprinkle with seasonings; toss to combine. Arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 14-18 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Top with croutons. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 265 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Greens with Homemade Croutons
"Normally I love cooking with fresh herbs, but I had trouble with these. I followed the recipe, but most of the herbs remained in the mixing bowl, and the rest fell off the croutons into the baking pan. I suggest using ground thyme and dried tarragon and basil and mixing them into the melted butter, and then tossing the bread cubes in the butter. Maybe that will work better. My family still liked them, though. I liked that the dressing amount was just enough, most recipes call for way too much dressing and you're left with lots extra."
"We love to have salad with dinner. This one was easy and delish."
"Love, love, loved these croutons. The boxed off the shelf ones taste commercialized. These were not difficult to make, had really great seasoning and really rounded out the salad. Nice!"