Greens with Homemade Croutons Recipe
A lively salad of fresh greens gets a flavorful boost from homemade croutons baked with tarragon, thyme and basil. — Ann Bush, Colorado City, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 5 slices day-old French bread (1/2 inch thick), cubed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash celery salt
- 2 cups spring mix salad greens
- 2 cups torn romaine or fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Place bread cubes in a bowl. Drizzle with butter; toss lightly. Sprinkle with seasonings; toss to combine. Arrange in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 14-18 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Top with croutons. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 265 calories, 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC