Greens and Roasted Beets
A refreshing from-scratch dressing is the ideal topping to this colorful salad with bright beets, mixed greens and mandarin oranges. The dish from our Test Kitchen would be a dressy accompaniment to a special event's menu.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 whole fresh beets
- 3 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Spray beets with cooking spray. Place in an ungreased 8-in. square
- baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until
- tender; cool. Peel and cut into 1/2-in. cubes.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, beets and oranges. In a
- blender, combine the vinegar, orange juice concentrate, mustard,
- thyme and pepper; cover and process until blended. While processing,
- gradually add canola oil and sesame oil. Drizzle over salad and toss
- to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 122 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,