A refreshing from-scratch dressing is the ideal topping to this colorful salad with bright beets, mixed greens and mandarin oranges. The dish from our Test Kitchen would be a dressy accompaniment to a special event's menu.
- 2 whole fresh beets
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Spritz beets with cooking spray; place in an ungreased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake, covered, 60-70 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, orange juice concentrate, mustard, thyme and pepper. Gradually whisk in canola and sesame oils until blended.
- Peel beets and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. In a large bowl, combine greens, mandarin oranges and beets. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Greens and Roasted Beets in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p57
Reviews for Greens and Roasted Beets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2013
"Made this for Father's Day and it was a hit. My father-in-law loved it. Loved it."