A refreshing from-scratch dressing is the ideal topping to this colorful salad with bright beets, mixed greens and mandarin oranges. The dish from our Test Kitchen would be a dressy accompaniment to a special event's menu.
- 2 whole fresh beets
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Spritz beets with cooking spray; place in an ungreased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake, covered, 60-70 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, orange juice concentrate, mustard, thyme and pepper. Gradually whisk in canola and sesame oils until blended.
- Peel beets and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. In a large bowl, combine greens, mandarin oranges and beets. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Greens and Roasted Beets in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p57
Reviews for Greens and Roasted Beets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2013
"Made this for Father's Day and it was a hit. My father-in-law loved it. Loved it."