Green Vegetables with Brown Rice Recipe
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 cup DOLE Canned Pineapple Juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry broccoli in oil for 3 minutes. Add the green pepper and onion; stir-fry for 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and pepper; stir-fry for 1 minute longer. Add the chicken, rice, green onions, peas, pineapple juice and soy sauce; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 295 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 674 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.