Green Tomato Pie Recipe
When frost nips our garden, I quickly gather all the green tomatoes still on the vine and make this old family favorite. It's been handed down from my grandmother, and now my granddaughters are asking for the recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 3 cups thinly sliced green tomatoes (about 4 to 5 medium)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add tomatoes and vinegar; toss to coat.
- 2. Line a pie plate with bottom crust. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tomatoes are tender. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 433 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC