Green Tomato Parmesan Recipe
Oven-baked green tomatoes are deliciously tangy smothered with tomato sauce and topped with three kinds of cheese. Serve this as a side dish or a meal’s centerpiece.—Mike Chapman, Elyria, Ohio
- 2 pounds medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 5 minutes; pat dry.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Place flour in a separate shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and basil.
- 3. Coat tomato slices in flour, then dip in egg whites and coat with bread crumb mixture. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
- 4. Spread 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the tomatoes and spread with ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 313 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 960 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC