- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced green tomatoes
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half; flatten into disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes in a large bowl; cover with boiling water. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes or until slightly cooled. Drain well.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, lemon juice, lemon peel, melted butter, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Gently stir in tomatoes.
- Roll out half of the pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer pastry to pie plate. Add filling and dot with cold butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 35-40 minutes longer for until crust is lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Green Tomato Lattice Pie in Country Woman August/September 2012, p38
Reviews for Green Tomato Lattice Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >