Green Tomato Bars Recipe
- 4 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Drain tomatoes on paper towels for 10 minutes. In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, 1 cup of brown sugar and lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in extract; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, cream the butter and remaining brown sugar. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and nuts. Press 2-1/2 cups on a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread tomato mixture over crust. Crumble remaining oat mixture on top. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 194 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Green Tomato Bars
"My friend Jeannie made these and gave me some. They are GOOD! Next year when I have some green tomatoes I'll make it."
"There wasn't enough green tomato / sugar filling to spread out over the crust. I would suggest doubling the tomato & sugar mixture."