- 4 cups finely chopped green tomatoes
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Drain tomatoes on paper towels for 10 minutes. In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, 1 cup of brown sugar and lemon juice. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in extract; set aside.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and remaining brown sugar. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and nuts. Press 2-1/2 cups on a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread tomato mixture over crust. Crumble remaining oat mixture on top. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Green Tomato Bars in Country Woman July/August 1996, p38
Reviews for Green Tomato Bars(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2011
My friend Jeannie made these and gave me some. They are GOOD! Next year when I have some green tomatoes I'll make it.