Green Tea Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 3-1/2 teaspoons green tea leaves, divided
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1. Place 2-1/2 teaspoons tea leaves in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and steep for 5-6 minutes.
- 2. Strain and discard leaves; pour tea into a large skillet. Add half of the onions. Stir in the honey, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sauce is reduced to about 3/4 cup.
- 3. Add chicken and remaining tea leaves; cover and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Cut chicken into thin slices; serve with sauce. Garnish with remaining onions. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 3 tablespoons sauce equals 184 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.