This is such an elegant salad. It will dress up any table. The caramelized onion in the dressing tastes fantastic. It's never failed to be a hit whenever I've served it.
Featured In: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 14 cups torn salad greens
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Place onion in a baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with sugar. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes. Turn and bake 25-30 minutes longer, stirring several times, until the onion is tender and lightly browned. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Place onion in a blender or food processor; add broth, vinegar, salt and remaining oil. Cover and process until smooth (mixture will be thick). Chill.
- Just before serving, toss greens, walnuts, red onion and dressing in a large salad bowl. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Green Salad with Onion Dressing in Country October/November 1998, p51
Reviews for Green Salad with Onion Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review