Green Rice Pilaf
With its mild heat and full flavors, this side pairs well with a variety of entrees, especially Southwest or Mexican specialties. —Sherri Melotik, Oak Creek, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the broth, chilies, jalapeno, cumin, garlic powder and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or
- until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in cheese and cilantro. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish
- coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 14-16
- minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 171 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium,