Green Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. Add the broth, chilies, jalapeno, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 3. Stir in cheese and cilantro. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 14-16 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 171 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Green Rice Pilaf
"Wasn't sure at first when I was putting it together but I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely a nice change when making rice. Would make this recipe again"
"was a very good side dish.May try cheddar cheese next time but definitely will make again"
"A unique twist on rice, the cumin and chilies fare really well with the mozzarella cheese. I sprinkled a little more on top of the casserole before baking. I will definitely use this recipe again!"