Green Pepper Saute
I created this recipe one summer when I had an abundance of green peppers in my garden. This spicy recipe is a great companion for any meat dish. It's also delicious served over rice. When I take it to potlucks, many people want the recipe.—Joyce Turley, Slaughters, Kentucky
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 large green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crushed seasoned salad croutons
- In a large skillet, saute the peppers, celery, onion and garlic in
- oil until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, basil, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender
- and mixture is thickened. Sprinkle with croutons.
- Yield: 4 servings.