Green Pepper Meat Loaf
"My husband, Wayne, asks for this meat loaf all the time," reports Edna Lauderdale of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. "We like it spicy, so we use hot sausage rather than mild. Slices are terrific drizzled with ketchup, served with mashed potatoes and gravy, or in meat loaf sandwiches the next day."
14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 bacon strips, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, green peppers, onion, celery
- leaves, parsley and soup mix. Crumble beef and sausage over the
- mixture and mix well. Shape into a 12-in. x 4-in. loaf.
- Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350°
- for 1 hour. Place bacon strips over top if desired. Bake 45-60
- minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads
- 160°. Yield: 14 slices.
Nutritional Facts: One slice (prepared with egg substitute equivalent to 2 eggs, reduced-sodium soup mix and bulk turkey sausage) equals 193 calories, 398 mg sodium, 51 gm cholesterol, 5 gm carbohydrate, 20 gm protein, 10 gm fat, 1 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.