Green Pepper Meat Loaf Recipe
"My husband, Wayne, asks for this meat loaf all the time," reports Edna Lauderdale of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. "We like it spicy, so we use hot sausage rather than mild. Slices are terrific drizzled with ketchup, served with mashed potatoes and gravy, or in meat loaf sandwiches the next day."
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 bacon strips, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, green peppers, onion, celery leaves, parsley and soup mix. Crumble beef and sausage over the mixture and mix well. Shape into a 12-in. x 4-in. loaf.
- Place on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Place bacon strips over top if desired. Bake 45-60 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 14 slices.
Originally published as Green Pepper Meat Loaf in Quick Cooking January/February 2000, p52
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Green Pepper Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review