Green Chili Stew
"I came up with this hearty pork stew when trying to duplicate the recipe we enjoyed at a local restaurant," shares Doris Johns of Hurst, Texas.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, brown pork in oil. Add the onion,
- jalapenos, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and bay leaf; saute until
- onion is tender. Add potatoes and water; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are
- tender. Add tomatoes and chilies; simmer 10 minutes longer. Discard
- bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 253 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 707 mg sodium,