Green Chili Pork Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean boneless pork, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cornbread or warmed flour tortillas, optional
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown pork in oil. Add 3-1/2 cups broth, corn, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, chilies, cumin, oregano and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and remaining broth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve with corn bread or tortillas if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Green Chili Pork Stew(4)
Sort By :
I liked this stew but next time I wouldn't use the third can of corn. There was more corn than anything else! I also added an onion and a clove of garlic for some added flavor.
This Texan family HAD to add a bit of heat and Mexican flavor to this already fabulous stew! We added cilantro!!! Yes...that makes a huge difference and adds that tex-mex flavor we all know and love from here! We also added some red pepper flakes for some spice...cause we like things spicy! I prefer homemade tortillas (from Kroger) to eat with it, but my Alabama husband prefers cornbread...which he put at the bottom of his bowl before pouring this over it. It's certainly going to need salt. BUT...it's fabulous and even my mom, who had never heard of a pork stew, was impressed! YES...we will make this again!
WARNING - modified slightly review. Used canned tomato with green chilies and Mexicorn. Threw in some cooked diced bacon. Slightly punched up result, good go to stew.
My family loved this recipe, I did just a few things different...I didn't use the corn (eat that the night before) but carrots, and no celery (didn't have any)....But we would loved it and would make it again
More Recipe Collections
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Stew Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Stews >