Green Chili Pork Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean boneless pork, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cornbread or warmed flour tortillas, optional
- 1. In a 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown pork in oil. Add 3-1/2 cups broth, corn, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, chilies, cumin, oregano and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and remaining broth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve with corn bread or tortillas if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 306 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Green Chili Pork Stew
"I liked this stew but next time I wouldn't use the third can of corn. There was more corn than anything else! I also added an onion and a clove of garlic for some added flavor."
"WARNING - modified slightly review. Used canned tomato with green chilies and Mexicorn. Threw in some cooked diced bacon. Slightly punched up result, good go to stew."
"My family loved this recipe, I did just a few things different...I didn't use the corn (eat that the night before) but carrots, and no celery (didn't have any)....But we would loved it and would make it again"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.