Green Chili Pork Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean boneless pork, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cornbread or warmed flour tortillas, optional
- 1. In a 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown pork in oil. Add 3-1/2 cups broth, corn, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, chilies, cumin, oregano and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine flour and remaining broth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve with corn bread or tortillas if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth and without added salt, and served without corn bread or tortillas) equals 306 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.