Green Chili Luncheon Bake Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- 2. Sprinkle half of the chilies and cheese into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with bean mixture, corn and remaining chilies and cheese.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining salt. In another small bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk and pepper sauce; gradually whisk into flour mixture until smooth. Pour over the top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with red onion and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 312 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 884mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 reduced-fat milk.