- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (14 ounces each)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) salsa verde
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips
- Place the chicken, onions, peppers, jalapenos and chilies in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour salsa over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred chicken with two forks, discarding skin and bones; return meat to slow cooker. Stir in the beans, sour cream and cilantro; heat through. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Freeze option: Before adding sour cream, cilantro and toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Stir in sour cream and cilantro. Serve with toppings if desired. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Green Chile Chicken Chili
Sort By :
"Great flavors and texture throughout this recipe. One or two of the breasts fell apart during cooking and left a lot of little bones for a potentially unsafe meal. Never use bone in for something that does not have a clear broth and I'll use boneless breast or thigh next time."
"Very good but next time when I half the recipe I'll remember to half the jalapeños!"
"wonderful chicken chili!"
"This soup was awesome. The flavors worked really well together."
"Will definitely make this again. Took half of it to the neighbors and they loved it too!"