- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (14 ounces each)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) salsa verde
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips
- Place the chicken, onions, peppers, jalapenos and chilies in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour salsa over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred chicken with two forks, discarding skin and bones; return meat to slow cooker. Stir in the beans, sour cream and cilantro; heat through. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Freeze option: Before adding sour cream, cilantro and toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Stir in sour cream and cilantro. Serve with toppings if desired. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Green Chile Chicken Chili
Sort By :
"This chili is delicious! A bit of caution though. If I had used a whole cup of the sliced pickled jalape?os, I would have had to throw it out. I used about 1/4C and it was still really hot; I had to use two cups of sour cream to cool it down. I used boneless chicken breast any it worked perfectly."
"Great flavors and texture throughout this recipe. One or two of the breasts fell apart during cooking and left a lot of little bones for a potentially unsafe meal. Never use bone in for something that does not have a clear broth and I'll use boneless breast or thigh next time."
"Very good but next time when I half the recipe I'll remember to half the jalapeños!"
"wonderful chicken chili!"
"This soup was awesome. The flavors worked really well together."